- The scientific name of the giant panda literally
means “black and white cat-foot”.
- Although it belongs to the order Carnivora, the panda
has a diet that is 99% bamboo.
- The panda consumes between 20 to 30 pounds of bamboo
shoots a day.
- Due to the fact that all bamboo within a species
has synchronized regeneration, flowering and death,
the Giant Panda must have at least two different species
available in its range to avoid starvation.
- Due to the panda’s appearance, it is often assumed
to be harmless. However, it has been known to attack
humans out of irritation.
- The panda has the second longest tail in the bear
family, with a tail length of up to 6 inches.
- Despite the shared name, habitat type, and diet,
and shared sixth digit, the Giant Panda and Red Panda
are only distantly related.
About the Author
Jacob Maddox manages content for Wildlife Animals
http://www.wildlife-animals.com an educational wildlife
and animal website. Jacob also guest writes for Dog