- Raccoon, sometimes spelled as racoon, is the largest
of the procyonid family.
- The heaviest recorded raccoon weighed over 62 pounds.
- The raccoon is usually nocturnal and omnivorous,
eating invertebrates, plants, and vertebrates.
- Raccoons are known for their intelligence, with some
studies showing that raccoons are able to remember the
solution to tasks up to three years later
. - The average life expectancy in the wild for a raccoon
is only 3 years, although captive raccoons have lived
over 20 years.
- The raccoon has a distinctive mask, similar to a
banditís mask, which has enhanced the animalís reputation
- A study showed that 60% of all sleeping places used
by raccoons were used only once.
About the Author
Jacob Maddox manages content for Wildlife Animals http://www.wildlife-animals.com
an educational wildlife and animal website. Jacob also
guest writes for Dog Pound http://www.dog-pound.net